Teacher of Primary EAL
Functional area: Primary
Employment type: Full-time
Job Type: Contract
Primary EAL Teacher
Knowledge and understandingEAL Teachers will
- Have knowledge of and keep up to date with best practice in EAL, English National Curriculum, International Primary Curriculum and current research on educational developments.
- Understand how pupils' language learning is affected by their physical, intellectual, emotional and social development and to understand the stages of child development.
- Be familiar with the school's current systems and structures as outlined in policy documents and school improvement plans.
- Understand and know how data, both summative and formative, can be used to set clear targets for pupil's achievement.
- Select and develop ICT skills/attributes to make full use off the technology available to students whilst ensuring they maintain their own skills base (for example using Google workshops, iPad savvy in-house programme, and any other soft skill may be required to perform this job).
Planning, teaching and class managementEAL Teachers will
- Plan and deliver, in relation to the identified Primary school curriculum, with regard for the school's vision and mission statements, own policies and schemes of work, the EAL teaching programme for all EAL children within the class.
- Provide clear structures for EAL lessons and for sequences of lessons, which maintain pace, motivation and challenge whilst ensuring that planning identifies the key areas for progress and attainment.
- Make effective use of formative and summative assessment information on pupils' EAL attainment and progress in planning future lessons.
- Provide effective teaching of classes, groups and individuals, establishing high expectations of behaviour and attainment, so that EAL teaching and learning objectives are met.
- Monitor and intervene when teaching to ensure sound learning and discipline and maintain a safe environment in which pupils feel confident to learn and take risks.
- Use a variety of teaching and learning styles to keep all pupils engaged.
- Be familiar with the Code of Practice - identification, assessment and support of pupils with special educational needs.
- Evaluate their own teaching to improve effectiveness.
Monitoring, Assessment, Recording, Reporting and AccountabilityEAL Teachers will
- Assess and record each pupil's progress with reference to the schools current practice, including the social progress of each child and use the results to inform planning.
- Ensure that clear targets for improvement are communicated to all students to ensure good progress.
- Mark and monitor class work and homework (as appropriate), providing constructive feedback and setting targets for future progress.
- Provide reports on individual progress to professional colleagues and parents as required.
- Fulfil all requirements related to data uploads, tracking and target setting.
Other Professional RequirementsEAL Teachers will
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with professional colleagues, governors and parents.
- Support class teachers in effectively teaching EAL learners within their cohort, by way of meetings, training, mentoring, coaching and team-teaching as needed.
- Ensure high quality communication with students, professional colleagues, governors, parents and outside agencies with regard to teaching and learning in EAL.
- Participate as required in meetings with professional colleagues, governors and parents in respect of the duties and responsibilities of the post.
- Through performance management agree their professional development needs and how these can be met.
- Undertake any reasonable duties as advised by the Head of Primary or Deputy Head of Primary.
- Actively promote the well-being of all students and be familiar with, and uphold all, Safeguarding policies and Child Protection procedures within the school.
- In liaison with your Line Manager, take responsibility for upholding Health and Safety practise within your own working area and be responsible for completing risk assessments/near misses as appropriate.