Head of Libraries
Functional area: Whole School
Employment type: Full-time
Job Type: ContractThe Head of Libraries is responsible for enriching and supporting teaching and learning through digital and print resources, connections to a school wide literacy programme, and development/execution of a library/media skills curriculum. The position both manages the physical space of the libraries and identifies avenues for library integration with classroom teaching. The Head of Libraries serves as an educational leader in promoting best practices, improving teaching and learning, creating a dynamic learning environment to serve the school community in the existing library spaces, and developing a strategic plan for consistent improvement and integration of the centres with strong curriculum and community links.
The Head of Libraries would supervise both Primary and Secondary Learning Resource Centres and online materials at BSJ.
General duties and responsibilities include but are not exclusive to;
- Create a dynamic mission and vision for the libraries and digital resources at BSJ
- Develop a vertically articulated library skills curriculum to meet the needs of learners going forward
- Develop and lead the plan to reimagine BSJ libraries into state of the art media/learning centres
- Create a series of activities/programmes that promote library skills, literacy, and enhance student learning across the school
- Lead and manage all BSJ libraries
- Lead staff in day-to-day operations
- Organize internal/external CPD for library
- Manage the library collection and online resource management system
- Integrate the library and research centre into both the primary and secondary sections of the school
- Lead the delivery of quality instruction on library skills, research skills and bibliography lessons.
- Collaborate with teachers' in the construction of an outstanding library curriculum
- Lead and organise CPD activities teachers to fully utilize all available resources.
- Manage the library budgets to ensure the school's aims are met
- Actively promote the well-being of all students and be familiar with, and uphold all, Safeguarding policies and Child Protection procedures within the school.
- In liaison with your Line Manager, take responsibility for upholding Health and Safety practise within your own working area and be responsible for completing risk assessments/near misses as appropriate.
- Minimum of 5 years post PGCE or QTS teaching experience
- A degree in Librarian or related subject
- Satisfactory reference checks
- DBS/police check