Teacher of Primary
Functional area: Primary
Employment type: Full-time
Job Type: Contract
PRIMARY (YEARS 1-6)
Class Teacher for Aug 2019
"To inspire, challenge and nurture for excellence"
We are delighted that you are interested in furthering your teaching career at the British School Jakarta.
Our school is a happy and harmonious place of learning. We are committed to providing a balanced education which nurtures and supports every child's abilities and needs. Our aim is that every boy and girl feels at home here quickly and finds academic, sporting, leadership and creative opportunities to extend their current interests and help them develop new ones - whatever their level of ability.
This Core Competence has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by Employees within the above mentioned position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities. On condition the Employee has the relevant skills, expertise and qualifications these may therefore be subject to future amendments, without additional payment, following appropriate consultation between the Head of Primary and the Employee and at the discretion of the Principal.
Responsible to: Primary Leadership Team and Year Group Leader
Line Manager: Year Group Leader
To provide a high quality and well-rounded educational experience for all students, whilst ensuring that progress and attainment are of the highest possible standard.
General duties and responsibilities
- To carry out the duties of class teacher as set out in the Personnel Manual.
- To continue to meet the required standards for Qualified Teacher Status.
Knowledge and understanding
- Have knowledge of and keep up to date with the English National Curriculum, International Primary Curriculum and current research on Educational developments.
- Understand how pupils' learning is affected by their physical, intellectual, emotional and social development and to understand the stages of child development.
- Be familiar with the school's current systems and structures as outlined in policy documents and school improvement plans.
- Understand and know how data, both summative and formative, can be used to set clear targets for pupil's achievement.
- Select and develop ICT skills/attributes to make full use off the technology available to students whilst ensuring they maintain their own skills base (for example using Google drive and iPad savvy in-house programme).
Planning, teaching and class management
- Plan and deliver, in relation to the identified Primary school curriculum of IPC/English and Mathematics skills from the UK National Curriculum, with regard for the school's vision and mission statements, own policies and schemes of work, the teaching programme for all children within the class.
- Provide clear structures for lessons and for sequences of lessons, which maintain pace, motivation and challenge whilst ensuring that planning identifies the key areas for progress and attainment.
- Make effective use of formative and summative assessment information on pupils' attainment and progress in planning future lessons.
- Provide effective teaching of whole classes, groups and individuals, establishing high expectations of behaviour and attainment, so that teaching and learning objectives are met.
- Monitor and intervene, when teaching, to ensure sound learning and maintain a safe environment in which pupils feel confident to learn and take risks.
- Use a variety of teaching and learning styles to keep all pupils engaged.
- Be familiar with the Code of Practice - identification, assessment and support of pupils with special educational needs.
- Evaluate their own teaching to improve effectiveness.
Monitoring, Assessment, Recording, Reporting and Accountability
- Assess and record each pupil's progress with reference to the schools current practice, including the social progress of each child and use the results to inform planning.
- Ensure that clear targets for improvement are communicated to all students to ensure good progress.
- Mark and monitor classwork and homework, providing constructive feedback and setting targets for future progress.
- Provide reports on individual progress to professional colleagues and parents as required.
- Fulfil all requirements related to data uploads, tracking and target setting.
Other Professional Requirements
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with professional colleagues, governors and parents.
- Ensure high quality communication with students, professional colleagues, governors, parents and outside agencies.
- Participate as required in meetings with professional colleagues, governors and parents in respect of the duties and responsibilities of the post.
- Through performance management agree their professional development needs and how these can be met.
- Undertake any reasonable duties as advised by the Head of Primary/Deputy Head of Primary.
- Actively promote the wellbeing of all students and be familiar with, and uphold all, Safeguarding policies and Child Protection procedures within the school.
- In liaison with your Line Manager, take responsibility for upholding Health and Safety practise within your own working area and be responsible for completing risk assessments/near misses as appropriate.